Friday, September 16, 2005

¡Viva México!

I´ve only been taking Spanish classes on the computer this week until next week when real classes begin, so nothing much to report in that area.

I have a Mexican roommate named Mariana. Her boyfriend is Spanish and lives in Villalba, which is where I was last summer au pairing. We get along fine, and honestly, I get along better with all the Mexican students than I do with the Spanish. It seems that there aren´t quite as many girls here as there are boys, so I keep finding myself in circles of Spaniards smoking and drinking and arguing about the best 20th century arquitect or Spanish politics, things I´d barely understand in English. Most are much older than I am. But that´s how it is here, and maybe how it always has been, these macho intellectual circles. I pretty much just want to go shopping in the city and look at pretty things in musuems, the girl I am.

Yesterday was Independence Day in Mexico, or at least the day it´s celebrated. Kind of ironic that all the Mexican students are celebrating it in Spain. ¡Viva Mexico! And this whole week is las Fiestas de Villaciosa de Odon, the town I live in. There´s a running of the bulls or whatever it´s called in English, lots of music, lots of parties, a marathon, etc.

I bought some broccoli yesterday. Mmmm...

Love you all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home