Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Boredom, More Art


I haven´t written in a week because there´s been nothing to write about. Mostly I´ve been cooped up in a big empty house waiting for school to start next week. I´ll walk and do some exploring, then ride the bikes in the gym that don´t go anywhere, then eat a huge meal that makes me want to take a nap, which makes me unable to sleep at night so I stay up watching bad Spanish movies or the Madrid version of 20/20.

But tonight I´m going to see some jazz, which I´ve been craving for some reason. I also went to a great art presentation today, a multi-media exhibit on the marginalized people of Madrid -- the homeless, prostitutes, illegal immigrants, etc. It was actually an amazingly well-documented anthropological study done with video, photograph, and written interviews. You could go to a station and listen to recordings of various streets in Madrid, simulating what a homeless person has to put up with all day. Callao - man spraying street, women with jingling skirt, bus number 20, music from shop. There were pictures of every design of city bench along with facts about it: what kind of heat it absorbs (stone vs. wood), whether it has arm rests, etc. And dozens of maps tracking places to sleep, hide possesions, bathe and get food. A gimungous exhibit with endless documentation of every aspect of their lives.

Next week starts photography and cinema class... so excited. My translation class is all right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home