Sunday, October 02, 2005

Torrente 3

My spell of boredom has ended now that school starts officially tomorrow and the house is full of students. I´ve been hanging out with the Mexican girls that live downstairs (there aren´t any Spanish girls in the house for some reason), Mayra, Marina and Algeria. With me, Mariana and two Manuels it makes for a lot of ´M´s. Yesterday I went into Madrid with the girls and mostly walked around and shopped, and had some lunch. The yellow line on the metro is finally open! That´s my favorite one, and it was closed forever because of construction.
Then today I´ve been finishing up some of my internship work I´ve long procrastinated on, and went to see the funniest movie I´ve seen in a while, Torrente 3, about a bad undercover cop named Torrente. In Spain the Torrente series is super famous, all with ensemble casts (of course, with all Spanish actors so I didn´t know anyone). If you ask any Spaniard he´ll say the movies are vulgar and distasteful in every way, yet hilarious. The movies try to be as politically incorrect as possible. They might be bad in Spain, but a movie like this would NEVER EVER come out in the U.S. In the opening scene Torrente was on a plane, and suddenly a man jumped up and took hostage of a passenger with a plastic fork from the airplane meal. Torrente pulls out a gun and says calm down, no one will be hurt, it´s not possible to kill someone with a plastic fork! But then the man starts stabbing the women in the neck with the fork till blood squirts out and she falls dead to the floor. It´s all very exaggerated. Torrente starts shooting but he misses the man and hits the pilot instead, so the plane plummets down toward Madrid and straight into the Kio Towers, the famous diagonally-slanted twin buildings at the entrance of Madrid. Torrente escapes with a parachute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home